What is PET-CT Scan?
- PET CT scan is advanced fusion technology wherein Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and Computed tomography (CT) scans are done in the same machine in sequential manner.
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) uses small amount of radioactive material tagged with bio-markers to visualize various biochemical changes in the body at molecular level like glucose utilization, receptor status, etc.
- Hence PET scan observes functional aspects of the disease and CT scan done almost simultaneously during PET CT scan gets us anatomical information giving thorough insight into the disease process.
- PET scan may be fused with MRI scan for some organs and diseases for better diagnosis.
- PET CT is safe and non-invasive procedure with established role in management of cancer, some brain and heart diseases as well as infection imaging.
- In case of cancer, molecular level changes happen much before they can be seen as mass on CT scan or MRI. Hence, PET scan has potential to detect cancer earlier than CT scan or MRI.
Why Choose Akshay Diagnostics?
- Founded and led by experienced senior Radiologists and Nuclear Medicine Physicians(With more than a decade of experience).
- New, latest and updated machines.
- Same day quality checked reports.
- Referral center of choice by top specialists in the city.
- Central and convenient location with ample car parking.
FDG PET CT for Cancer
- Cancer cells grow at faster rate than normal cells.
- They use glucose as a primary source of energy. Cancer cells consume more glucose than normal cells to support their growth.
- We use FDG (2-Fluoro-2-Deoxuglucose) which is a form of glucose tagged with Fluorine-18, which emits particles called positrons which are used to form image in PET CT scan.
- FDG is injected into the patient’s body before a PET study is done. It goes to areas of body where glucose is used for energy production in proportion to glucose use.
- PET scanner then detects from where the positrons are being emitted from a patient’s body, which basically gives us a map of glucose consumption in the body.
- Nuclear Medicine physician then interprets the glucose utilization map of the body for detection of cancer or response assessment.
PET CT scan for Brain Imaging
- Our brain is almost completely dependent on glucose for its energy requirements.
- FDG PET CT scan can map the glucose utilization in brain accurately.
- In some diseases like dementia (Serius degree of forgetfulness as in Alzheimer’s disease) and epilepsy, there are significant changes in glucose use in affected areas of brain.
- FDG PET detects these changes in pattern of glucose use, thereby helping in early and accurate diagnosis.
Whole body FDG PET CT Scan Procedure
- Please reach on time for your scan. If you are getting late or are cancelling the scan, please inform the centre.
- Although actual PET CT scan is for 10-15 min and total procedure is of 1.5 to 2 hrs, you may need to spend 5-6 hrs at the centre.
- You will be asked to change into the hospital gown.
- Your blood sugar is checked with glucometer and an intravenous (IV) cannula is usually inserted into the vein in hand. This maybe little painful like a pin-prick.
- You may have to wait for your turn for a while. You may have plain water during waiting period and may pass urine if desired. There is no need to hold urine before or during PET CT scan procedure.
- Doctor will see you before or after the preparation for the scan and may ask relevant questions regarding your illness. He may ask for your medical records and guide you about the procedure overall.
- Once you are called for the scan, technologist will inject the radioactive dye (FDG) through IV cannula and would ask you to wait in specially designed waiting room for minimum 60 to 90 mins.
- While in the post-injection waiting room, you are supposed to relax and not do much physical activity. You may sleep if you desire. Preferably avoid excessive talking, carrying mobile phone or books with you.
- After waiting period is over, you would be asked to empty your bladder and enter PET CT scan room.
- You have to lie on the PET CT machine couch for 10-15 min in comfortable position. You would be given blanket as room would have low temperature for smooth functioning of the machine.
- You are not supposed to move during the scan. Normal breathing movements are ok.
- You may be injected IV contrast if required for your study through IV cannula.
- Immediately after the scan, you would be asked to wait in separate area before you leave.
- If there is any additional scan needs to be done, like delayed scan, contrast scan or repeat scan due to movement observed during scan, you would be informed so.
- Before leaving, IV cannula is removed and you would be asked to change into your own clothes. Please check your belongings before you leave.